Follow-up

What are some ways I can follow up with people after they meet with me for informational interviews so that I could build the relationship further?

Comments

• CareerServicesCareerServices Member, Sofi Team

Hello MrJustLooking,

The informational interview is just a conversation - to turn this person into part of your network, you'll need to follow up.
    Remember, this person generously gave you time (and, perhaps, even advice and referrals), so following up at least to thank them is good form. Offering assistance, resources, or updates is great.

Here are some tips:

• Hopefully, you were actively listening and picked up on a few things regarding their interests or some key challenges/opportunities coming their way. If and when you come across something (e.g., article, book, Pinterest item) that you think they would benefit from, send the information on!
    • If they offered you any advice and you used it or it helped you reflect on something more deeply, let them know! Send an email with the impact the advice had on you/your situation.
    • Offer them connections! You are in networking mode and will meet a number of amazing people who may not know each other but could benefit from meeting.
    • If you’re in job search mode, provide updates once in awhile to let them know how you’re doing. Ask how they’re doing and see if they need anything you can help them with.

It's important to remember that networking is all in the follow-up after you've had an informational interview - this can turn the person with whom you met from an acquaintance into an ally!

Best,

SoFi's Career Services Team