How do I prepare for technical questions

Your team gave me some great tips on handling informational and behavioral questions during interviews - what do you suggest I do to prepare for case or technical questions?

Comments

• CareerServicesCareerServices Member, Sofi Team

Hi Joseph,

Technical interviews are conducted to ensure you possess the skill to actually do the job. It is very difficult to fake your way through a technical - you either know your stuff or you don’t. In fact, it’s a good result if you don’t get a job due to technical skills. Most people will struggle in jobs that are way over their head.

In preparing for a technical, review technical areas that you highlighted on your resume - make sure to dust the cobwebs off of those areas where you have not spent a lot of time in recent years. Additionally, focus on your strengths rather than your weaknesses. It’s very difficult to learn new concepts right before an interview. Instead, double down on the areas you are really strong in. If the interviewer starts to ask you technical questions on an area of weakness, demonstrate how you would work through the problem, but then pivot to your strengths (transferable skills)

Case interviews are a completely different ballgame. Unlike technical, people can get better at case by practicing case questions over and over again. However, this takes a lot of work. Although everyone is different, most people will need to conduct 40 to 60 cases before feeling competent - so don’t wait until a few days before the interview to learn how to do a case interview. Start working on it now, spend time learning the different frameworks and then practice, practice, practice.

There are a lot of resources on the web that can help. Check out sites, such as http://www.caseinterview.com/ for thought-starters.

Hope that helps!

SoFi's Career Services Team